s skippy the bush kangaroo: Bridging a Degree of Separation: The Arts in Life

skippy the bush kangaroo



Monday, January 14, 2013

Bridging a Degree of Separation: The Arts in Life

One of my old college classmates—much more famous for time spent blogging here and here, including "hogging" (may it be resumed over Gary Bettman's dead body)—reviews one of my wife's favorite novels:

So I want to talk for a moment about Madeleine L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time. No, really. It is very strange, but I have been having conversations about A Wrinkle in Time all year long with colleagues and friends. I’ve even gone back and reread the book. I was motivated partly by all the attention it received this year, the fiftieth anniversary of its publication. I learned only in January of this year, reading an item in the New York Times Sunday Book Review, that L’Engle’s heroine, Meg Murry, is something like the patron saint of “bookish girls” everywhere; as Anne Lamott remarked in November of this year, “A Wrinkle in Time saved me because it so captured the grief and sense of isolation I felt as a child.” And I realized that when I read it in 1972, I completely missed how anomalous it was that a speculative sci-fi young-adult novel would have as its protagonist an awkward girl who is such a science geek she can recite a good chunk of the periodic table of the elements by memory. I missed that because I identified with Meg Murry; I didn’t get the memo that boys weren’t supposed to identify with female protagonists, and I shared Meg’s sense of social anxiety and science geekdom and general outsiderness just as, a few years earlier, I had shared in Alice’s sense of bewilderment and wonder and occasional aggravation at the worlds of Wonderland and the Looking-Glass.

Check out the whole thing.
posted by Ken Houghton at 12:32 PM |

1 Comments:

a wrinkle in time is one of the greatest books evah; pre-hunger games teen angst (tho minus the romance) and great social commentary!
commented by Blogger skippy, 11:31 AM PST  

Add a comment