s skippy the bush kangaroo: One Lost Year And One Upcoming Election...

skippy the bush kangaroo

Thursday, October 25, 2012

One Lost Year And One Upcoming Election...

First, the lost year.

In September 2011, I lost my job at the print shop. To summarize a long boring story (leaving out some of the more unsavory parts): I was unemployed for six months, during which I moved from Richmond, Virginia to Hudson, New Hampshire, living with my parents for four months; I got a part-time job with a very large retail company in March 2012 in Nashua, next to Hudson, and moved to Nashua in May, mainly for a better shot at finding full-time work; After twelve frustrating months of trying and failing to find full-time work, I ended up blowing my stack one night at the retail place, telling one quite obnoxious customer to "get the f&$k out" of the store in front of at least fifteen witnesses, including my supervisor; the next morning, management pretty much told me to get the f&$k out (fair enough, I figured, though I wasn't happy about it); and four days later, I started driving a taxi in Nashua six nights a week, which I'm still doing and kind of like doing it. The hours are obscenely long, but it beats the hell out of retail. That, and the unpaid bills are starting to get paid again. I can't really complain.

So that's what I've been up to, in case anyone cared.

Now that that's out of the way...

There's another damn election coming up in less than two weeks. A presidential one at that. This one's easy as pie: I'm voting for Obama. That's been my plan since 2009.  George may not like it, and Heaven knows I don't want to get into another shouting match with a co-blogger around here -- the last time I wrote regularly for skippy, I ended up trading insults with Mahakal over the 9/11 attacks (my insults being more poisonous and far more mean-spirited), and that didn't sit well with anyone. Still, and I know I've said this all before...

It's like this. If you want to vote Democratic in November, go ahead. You want to vote Republican, go ahead. You want to vote Libertarian or some other third-party, go ahead. You want to write someone's name in, even your own, go ahead. You want to stay home, go ahead. It's your vote, and no one can tell you what you can do with it.

What you are going to end up with, however -- no matter how you vote -- is either Obama or Romney. You may not like that (I certainly don't), but, it is what it is. I called myself an independent voter for twenty years, starting when I was 18, through both my conservative and later progressive phases. But after some twenty years, I became a Democrat by default. I realized that no matter what I did or what I believed in, I was going to end up with a Republican or a Democrat, and frankly, I'm too damned poor to vote Republican.

If you're reading this, there's a good chance that you are, too. Say, a 99% chance, if you catch my drift.

Anyway, I'm gonna shut up now. I have to work tonight. I'll catch up with everyone later...

Labels: , , ,

posted by Jim Yeager at 6:57 AM |


Jim! Good to see you! I had kind of wondered...

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures and your acerbic take on politics.
commented by Blogger D., 7:30 AM PDT  
I am so glad that you're writing again!
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 7:06 PM PDT  
Me too!!! M.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 6:08 PM PDT  

Add a comment